Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become an exporter?

All persons who will be exporting commercial goods from South Africa must register with the South African Revenue Services (SARS), and duly complete a DA185 registration form. This form can be downloaded from www.sars.gov.za. New Applications lodged on a DA 185 Form, will require supporting documents which are also listed on the SARS website.

What are HS Codes

The Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System, also known as the Harmonized System (HS) of tariff is an internationally standardized system of names and numbers to classify traded products.

Where can I find HS Codes for my product?

HS Codes for products can be obtained from Customs and Excise on (031) 367 6100 or www.sars.gov.za.

What are Incoterms?

The Incoterms rules or International Commercial Terms are a series of pre-defined commercial terms published by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) that are widely used in International commercial transactions or procurement processes.