- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: GROUP CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER
(5 YEAR FIXED-TERM CONTRACT WITH THREE MONTHS’ PROBATION, PATERSON GRADE F1 SALARY TOTAL COST OF EMPLOYMENT PER ANNUM
The Gauteng Growth and Development Agency (GGDA) is the implementation arm of the Department of Economic Development created in terms of the Blue IQ Investment Holdings (Pty) Ltd Amended Act (2012) merging Blue IQ Investment Holdings and the Gauteng Economic Development Agency (GEDA.)
The GGDA is a group of companies made up of a Holding company and four subsidiaries i.e.
- Automotive Supply Park t/a Automotive Industry Development Centre (AIDC)
- The Innovation Hub Management Company (TIHMC)
- Constitution Hill (ConHill)
- Gauteng Industrial Development Zone (GIDZ)
The mandate thereof, is to lead, facilitate and manage sustainable job creation and inclusive economic growth and development in the Gauteng City Region through:
- Enabling economic development that is focused on creating sustainable jobs by facilitating delivery of key national and provincial programmes of
- Strategically positioning the province into a globally competitive city
- Facilitating partnerships and creating linkages across the province to maximise service delivery
- Supporting the development of Key Sectors of the economy in line with the economic development and industrial strategies of the province by carrying out:
- Business enablement
- Establishment of capital projects
- Land development
- Trade and investment promotion
The successful incumbent will be reporting to the Group Chief Executive Officer and will be expected to execute the following tasks:
- Provide operational support to the Group CEO to ensure the achievement of the GGDA mandate.
- Contribute to the development and assist the GCEO to monitor the implementation of the GGDA Strategic Plan (Corporate Strategy) and Annual Performance Plan, as well as Departmental Operational Plans.
- Support the Group CEO with the development and implementation of organisational risk management plan to maintain good risk management practices.
- Guide the implementation of efficiencies and process improvements with the GGDA Departments.
- Assist the GCEO to develop monitoring and evaluation tools and processes to continuously assess the plans and performance of GGDA and Subsidiary Companies.
- Reporting regularly to the Group CEO on current activities as well as reporting monthly against department business plans.
- Compile monthly, quarterly and annual reports on the overall progress and results against operating and financial objectives and initiate courses of action for improvement.
- Support the Group CEO and Executive Team with regard to optimization of organizational performance.
- Escalate issues related to risk and operational challenges that require the active shareholders input and or guidance to the Management Committee (MANCO) of GGDA.
- Support the Group CEO with the preparation for and facilitation of management meetings such as Group EXCO and ManCom, as well as other meetings. Includes the implementation of key decisions and resolutions from such meetings.
- Ensure compliance to the PFMA and all Treasury Regulations including BBBEE, PPPFA.
- Cultivate, maintain, protect and promote the GGDA’s corporate image and the brand.
- Foster relationships with strategic stakeholders to ensure effective communication, as well as ensure that appropriate relationships are maintained.
- Maintain effective control and coordination mechanisms for all operations and activities, and take reasonable steps to ensure the integrity of the internal control and management information systems.
- Ensure that all operations and activities of the GGDA are conducted in accordance with the PFMA, relevant regulations, and the other policies and practices approved by the Board.
- Support the Group CEO with the redress of negative internal and external auditors findings by ensuring those are addressed in the future plans and strategies.
- Ensure compliance to Corporate Governance Framework such as Companies Act and King III and IV.
- Ensure adherence to the GGDA’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, sound business practices.
- Foster a high performance corporate culture that promotes ethical practices and encourages individual integrity, accountability, and social responsibility.
- Support the GCEO to create a leadership presence and provide strategic direction within GGDA.
- Support the Group CEO with the review of operational model and organizational structure at GGDA and Subsidiary Companies.
- Document, develop, review, and update standardised processes and standards throughout the GGDA and Subsidiary Companies to retain institutional memory and to achieve efficiencies.
- Design an effective communication and feedback mechanism between GGDA Departments and Subsidiary Companies.
- Support the Group CEO with institutional transformation programme.
As minimum applicants should have the following requirements:
- Postgraduate qualification in Management; Business Management; or Business Administration; or Public Administration;
- Masters; or MBL or MBA will be an added advantage;
- 10 years + experience in an Executive Management position with a proven track record and credentials in financial, people, operational and strategic management.
- 10 years’ experience serving or supporting Board operations.
- Detailed knowledge of socio economic aspects relating to the Gauteng Province.
- Detailed knowledge of developments in the global economy.
- Detailed knowledge of national and provincial government priorities and frameworks.
- Good understanding of economic development.
- Good working knowledge in planning, development and implementation of value add of catalyst/high impact projects.
- Good understanding of the relationships between the GGDA Group, shareholder and strategic external stakeholders.
- Good understanding of State Agencies and how they operate.
- Good understanding and experience of forecasting, budgeting and financial management.
Applications must be accompanied by a curriculum vitae, certified copies of qualifications and certified copies of identity documentation.
- Preference will be given to people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged individuals to promote Employment Equity within the group.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within three months after the closing date, please regard your application as having been unsuccessful.
- The closing date for applications is 09 February 2024 at close of business.
- Enquiries and submissions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org